Make Your Upgrade Painless: Best Practices from FOH
Make Your Upgrade Painless: Best Practices From FOH
Upgrades are an integral part of modern technology. But as most people know, not all upgrades are the same. Depending on what version you are updating from, and what Add-on Vendors you have, upgrading your system can be a simple matter or a more complicated process.
Have a look back at Pioneer’s special guest speaker; Karina DaCosta, IT Project Senior Manager at Front of The House; in the highlights below as she explains the steps before, during, and after upgrading your SAP Business One Software.
You can also check out the full webinar On Demand now!
Watch our webinar on how to Make Your Upgrade Painless On Demand here, or on Youtube.
Make Your Upgrade Painless: Best Practices from FOH
With the new SAP Business One 9.3 version released for general availability, you may be thinking, “perhaps it’s time to upgrade?” And perhaps it is. With new upgrades come new abilities, new fixes, and new features. But before you jump right in, FOH’s Karina DaCosta offers a few things to consider to help make that upgrade as smooth as possible.
Here are some steps you should consider before, during, and after the upgrade process.
GOAL: Make Your SAP Business One Upgrade Painless
- Why Should I Upgrade?
- Support Plan
- The correct SAP version for me
- Where Do I Start?
- Communication is Key
- I have a plan, now what?
- Testing Phase
- Upgrade Process
- Check for fixes
Why Should you Upgrade to a new SAP Version?
- Fixes to problems encountered in previous versions
- Enhanced functionality
- Continued Support and Maintenance
And it’s all included in your Maintenance Payment! So why not?
Selecting the correct version for your Company
When Upgrading SAP Business One, you have to Upgrade through the Family Versions.
For example, if you have Version 8.1, you cannot just jump straight to Version 9.3. You must first pass through all the remaining versions in 8 and then Versions 9.0, 9.1, and 9.2 before reaching 9.3.
You also have to check with your Add-On Vendors about possible necessary patches for the new versions. Although you may be tempted to choose the newest patch, it is better to go with a slightly older, more tried-and-true patch to ensure stability.
Before you upgrade:
So you’ve decided which version to upgrade to and checked for necessary patches. Now what?
Step one is Communication.
Have a meeting with your team and hammer out all the important steps and details.
- You need to contact your SAP Partner and your Add-On Vendors
- Prepare a list of Add-ons and Processes that might be affected by the Update
- Choose a few possible dates for the update that won’t affect business too badly
- Determine the “Key Users” who will participate in the Update
- Upgraded before? What did you learn? Were there things you realized after-the-fact that could help?
Identify Add-Ons and Processes and Categorize them from Low to Critical Importance:
Not all Processes and Add-Ons carry the same weight. Categorize them from Low to Critical importance to prioritize what to keep an eye on.
Choose the best date:
NO: End of Quarter, End of Month, First week of Month
Agree on 2 possible Dates and a hard Cut-Off Time.
Plan when to start the “Freeze-Time”, to ensure No New Implementations
Determine Key Users:
- Less is better, assign the minimum amount of Key Users you may need
- Knowledge is Power, choose a user who knows their way around and excels at spotting problems
- Creative thinking, choose a user who is capable of handling strange and complicated issues
- Vacation Time; Make sure your ideal Key users are available and don’t already have time-off planned
KNOW your possible Upgrade dates
CONFIRM the date with your Partner and Add-On Vendors
START the User Test Script, paying special mind to: prints, reports, void/cancelations
Almost there! Before you can move on to the actual upgrade, first you need to Test, Test, Test!
Prepare your Test Environment:
Make a copy in Excel with Licenses and their assigned users
Know you can’t upgrade your current production environment
Was the upgrade successful? Did it require SAP intervention?
Measure each database’s upgrade time
Contact Add-On Vendors to have them install their Add-Ons in your test environment
Time to Test!
- Prepare 2 stations: Make sure your Key Users are comfortable. Maybe show your appreciation with some snacks or refreshments?
- Use the Key User’s own credentials: Ask your partner if you can borrow extra licensing
- Keep track of issues and how they developed so that you can replicate them later
Finally! The Big Day!
Karina offers this example of how the schedule for an upgrade may work out:
And there you have it! You have successfully upgraded your SAP Business One Software!
Need a quick collection of all the steps? Karina summarizes the process up very cleanly with this handy image:
SAP Business One: Making Your Upgrade Painless Resources:
Looking for more information? Below are a few links carefully selected by our experts that you can use to help with your SAP Business One Upgrade. Feel free to browse our resources or check out our knowledgebase. If you have any questions about upgrading your SAP Business One, reach out to us by phone 855-202-5087 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.